Making my bed room better

What?!? Two posts in the same week?

So I’ve been looking for a proper, nice bed frame or headboard for a while now.  Last week I scored an amazing headboard on Craigslist.  It came from the Grand Californian hotel at Disneyland.  (It also came with a plain queen sized metal frame and four throw pillows from the hotel.  Not sure what I’m going to do with those just yet.  Here’s an image search showing the headboard and pillows in their former natural habitat.)

Knowing I’d have to tear apart my room to get the headboard attached to the wall, I figured now was as good a time as any to get some painting done in there as well.  I’ve been struggling with exactly what colors I wanted to use, but getting this piece helped me make a decision.  But more on that later.

First off, here’s what the room looked like before I did much.  (Just removed the clutter from atop my dresser and book shelf.)  My apologies for the haphazard state of the bedclothes.

IMG_4173

Once the book shelf, night stand, and dresser were moved out and the bed relocated to the opposite corner of the room it was time to locate the wall studs, attach the cleat to the wall, and test for fit.  This took far longer than I would have liked, but I was really paranoid about messing up and missing a stud somewhere.

IMG_4174

Next up, move the headboard out of the way and prep the walls themselves.  This included wiping down the baseboards, applying painter’s tape as appropriate, and removing electrical covers.  Here’s a (crappy) panoramic shot I took of that stage.

IMG_4178

I then proceeded to paint the two walls of the “bed corner” a lovely, dark green.  Took three coats, but I’m super happy with the result.  Here’s the room restored (minus dresser-top and book shelf clutter) with just the room light on.

IMG_4180

And here it is with the bed lights lit.  The lights don’t actually have switches, so I’ve plugged them into a remote control system for easy switching on and off.  I’d kind of like to try putting some flicker-flame bulbs into those fixtures, but I don’t think it would be terribly practical for reading.  Though it sure would look cool.

IMG_4179

I have to say it’s a definite improvement.  I also got to remove the lamp from my nightstand, making more room for whatever I happen to be reading at the time.  And then there’s the added benefit of said lamp no longer being something (else) I have to worry about the cats trying to knock over in the night.

The other two walls haven’t been painted yet.  I didn’t have the time or energy to deal with that today.  Plus, I want to give the green at least a couple of days to fully set before putting painter’s tape on it.  But when I do get to them, those walls will be a nice blue similar in tone to the green.  Yes, the room will be rather dark.  I like it that way.  Especially when I get a migraine.

I actually chose the blue first for the “non-bed” walls, and was trying to find a complimenting blue for the “bed” walls without finding anything I really liked.  Then I decided to try green for the other color, which I think was a good call.  Hopefully the blue paint will be a smaller project – at least as far as prep work goes – since I’ll only have to move the dresser, take down a few pieces of art, and throw a drop cloth over the foot of the bed before taping and painting.

So, yeah.  I’m very tired and very, very sore.  I suspect I will sleep rather well tonight.  As always, thanks for reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s